Yes, you can use 2k Clear Coat Over Acrylic Paint. Some people may tell you that this isn’t a possible feat – they’re right – but I will show you how you can make it possible.
A 2k clear coat is a type of sealant that is used for long-term sealing of automobile paints on cars and/or motorcycles. A 2k clear coat can also be used in place of acrylic clear coat over acrylic paints.
Being water-resistant, you can use a 2k clear coat over acrylic paint to protect the paint from peeling or fading off over time.
It’s also weathering-resistant and will keep your paint from the effects of external elements. Aside from its protective ability, it also gives acrylic paint a lasting and bright gloss finish.
Although an acrylic clear coat will do just what a 2k clear coat will do, I recommend that you use a 2k clear coat if you want a quick turnaround.
Yes, 2k clear coat dries quicker, giving a turnaround in about a day unlike with acrylic, which can take a week.
Using a 2k clear coat over acrylic paint is easy for a panel shop. But there are a few things you should put into consideration.
- Naturally, a 2k clear coat will not adhere to acrylic paints irrespective of how you prepare it. This is the reason why some people will tell you that you can’t use a 2k clear coat over acrylic paint. To address this, use a 2k primer on the painted surface before applying the 2k clear coat. This will make the clear coat adhere to the acrylic paint.
- Not all 2k primers work well on acrylic paint. Make sure that you get the right 2k primer with the right formula for acrylic paints.
- Most 2k primers don’t work well on silicon-based polish. If you’re working on any surface with silicon-based polish, you should wash the painted surface and give it a light sanding to get rid of the silicon-based polish. Then, you can apply the 2k primer and, subsequently, the 2k clear coat.
With these considerations in place, you can easily use a 2k clear coat over acrylic paint. Before applying the 2k clear coat, make sure that the acrylic paint is completely dry, the surface is 2k primed, and the 2k primer is completely dry.
A 2k clear coat usually comes in spray cans, squirt some 2k clear coat over the dry painted surface. Wait for about 5 to 10 minutes for the coat to dry before applying the next coat – I recommend three coats.
Once you’re done applying the 2k clear coat, leave it for some hours to dry. After it’s dry, give it a good buffing to make it shine. Here are some of the effects of using a 2k clear coat over acrylic paint:
- It gives your work an outstanding painting surface.
- It gives no color deviation.
- It has maximum resistance to abrasion and scratching.
- It is cost-effective.
- It is ideally suitable for larger surfaces.
- It is suitable for use even at higher room temperatures.
- It has a very good polish ability.
How Long Does 2k Clear Coat Take to Dry?
As I said earlier, a 2k clear coat dries quicker than an acrylic clear coat. A 2k clear coat takes at most 24 hours to completely dry after which you can polish it for extra shine by hand or machine.
You can use a 2k clear coat over acrylic paint provided you do the necessary things to make it work.
With a 2k clear coat, you get a long-lasting gloss finish and maximum protection for your paintwork.